Ensure the service, image and performance of the Transport Operations is in line with the customer’s and Howard Tenens expectations. You will also maximise departmental profitability, control costs, invoicing, managing the commercial and operational requirements of the customer base and customer pipeline whilst ensuring the timely submission of financial data.
To ensure the warehouse facilities comply with all Legislative, Company, and Customer requirements with respect to Food Safety and Hygiene and Health & Safety thus ensuring that all products processes, premises, and vehicles meet these requirements and continually improve standards.
To help the facility gain and maintain accreditation to BRC Global Standards for Storage and Distribution as well as support any other compliance requirements that may apply to the business.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure efficient cost and effective planning of the operation
- Continually review and re-engineer the operation to ensure maximum efficiency.
- Work with all stakeholders to include internal stakeholders (Warehouse Management/Site Management) to ensure the nett effect of any decision adds greatest value to the business.
- Manage the operation ensuring that all Service Level Agreement KPI’s are achieved
- To maintain a well-motivated and enthusiastic team.
- Ensure all relevant operational procedures are adhered to in order maintain Company quality standards and competitiveness
- Monitor and review operational performance and takes timely action to address any issues
- Drives quality throughout the service depot and department challenging others to improve.
- Manages operation to meet required levels of productivity and ensure DVSA regulatory compliance
- Control costs ensuring that cost is only attributed where required
- Develop and implement continuous improvement measures to drive the operational effectiveness of the operations
- Understands and manages the key risks to the department ensuring escalation where necessary
- Build and maintain relationships with key customer personnel by ensuring regular and effective contact
- Work closely with customers to ensure an understanding of their strategic ambitions and that Howard Tenens play a lead role in supporting them
- Keep all customers appraised of all the products and benefits that HT can offer
- Optimise revenue opportunities by offering our full range of services to all customers
- Liaise with Transport Supervisors (direct reports) to challenge existing methodologies and make recommendations as to best working practices and/or cost saving initiatives
- Create and present KPI’s to the customers and within the business. Identify trends and suggest ways of managing performance improvement where necessary
- Drive customer service throughout the transport department ensuring all necessary training and development is afforded to all colleagues
- Represent the company at customer meetings ensuring all actions are completed within the allotted timescales
- Dealing with and escalating customer complaints ensuring effective resolution and protecting the company image
- Financial / Reporting
- Accurate reporting of weekly financial data to ensure a timely flow of information back to the customers
- Review weekly financial data ensuring anomalies are questioned and investigated
- To produce weekly, monthly reports in line with agreed timescales that are fit for purpose and audience
- Ensure that daily KPI’s are submitted to the leadership team
- Make sure all POs are raised accurately and all costs are input in line with Howard Tenens financial team deadlines
- Ensure that all customer activity is profitable
- Mobility – the job may require secondment to other sites across the UK.
- Manage all aspects of people management processes in line with company policy, including recruitment, discipline and grievance, absence, and performance management
- Management of all personnel at the contract service centre to ensure adequate staffing levels whilst maintaining headcount costs
- Recruit effective individuals to vacant positions. Monitor and review individual performance and provide training, support and coaching as necessary
- Complete annual performance reviews and act where there is persistent underperformance
- Provide regular communication and team briefings to the team. Listen to feedback and encourage the contribution of ideas and initiatives. Recognise and reward individuals for exceptional performance
- Control the usage of temporary labour minimising the cost to both the customer and the business
- Develop colleagues through delegation and coaching ensuring a flow of talent throughout the contract service centre. Identifies high performers and plans for succession. Structures work to foster cross functional development
- Manage Driver training program to include Driver CPC
- Maintain all O licence requirements to include, but not limited to:
- The making of arrangements to ensure that drivers comply with drivers’ hours and tachograph rules and with speed limits.
- The making of arrangements to ensure that the vehicles are maintained properly, including the inspection of vehicles at the appropriate time and the action taken to remedy defects found.
- The reporting and recording of vehicle defects by drivers.
- The method of compilation and the accuracy of all records, which must be kept for a period of not less than 15 months.
- The making of arrangements to ensure that the vehicle/s are not overloaded.
- Ensuring that authorised vehicles will be kept at the authorised operating centre(s) when not in use.
- Where appropriate, notifying the relevant traffic commissioner (in writing) of all prosecutions and convictions concerning the operator, the drivers and me within 28 days of the court hearing; and
- Notifying the relevant traffic commissioner of your resignation.
- Within the area of scope and responsibility, ensure the Company Health and Safety Policy and all other statutory requirements are adhered to.
- Ensure fleet records for depot are maintained to a high standard to include but not limited to:
- Daily checks, defect reporting, servicing (DOE, tail lifts, Tacho calibration, MOTs).
- Complete Tacho records for vehicles and drivers
- Tacho Infringement management and disciplinary action where required.
- Ensure all Health and Safety Legislation is compiled to include but not limited to Risk Assessments, LOLER/PUWER/RIDDOR regulations.
Credentials, Qualifications & Experience:
- Is an experienced Transport/Logistics manager
- Proven success in operating within budgetary requirements whilst achieving and exceeding customer expectations
- Commercial awareness
- Has National CPC qualification.
- Is literate and numerate to GCSE or NVQ Level 2 or equivalent standard.
- Comprehensive knowledge or Transport, Driver’s hours, WTD and Employment law.
- Familiarity with Transport management systems
- IT Literate – Minimum of basic office packages
- Commands respect from the team through knowledge, experience, and positive personal style.
- Leads the team, taking responsibility and ownership of the service centre.
- Understands the importance of company values and drives them throughout the service centre
- Has a clear and supportive management style.
- Relates well to people. Recognises the importance of and effectively delivers regular communication to all team members.
- Has a passion for service and a strong customer focus.
- Capable of managing multiple priorities and demands working under pressure to critical deadlines and objectives.
- Has regard for the wider business interest and the need to work as part of a team.
- Post Date 23 Jul 2021
- Closing Date 30 Jul 2021
- Location Boston
- Salary Competitive